Monday, July 28, 2014

Meet "The Squaw" She was a repoed bike that was in much need of some TLC.  Her seat is torn, she hasn't had a bath in ages, all of her fluids are black.  She has an engine noise and her front end has a wobble at low speeds.. She needs new tires and brakes We were able to pick her up for a song and a dance (frankly I feel that we over paid, she was only worth the song in her current state.. But we felt that we could breath new life back into her)..
The tear down began Sunday July 28, 2014.  Based on our budgets, both time and money, we believe that the project will take at least a year, possibly two.  I am not a mechanic, so my job is to sit on the garage steps and write down the pieces and parts that we will need.  One piece will be here in a couple of weeks, and that is a new solo seat for her.  It is tan and very simple in design which is exactly what I had in mind for her. 

JR said "Feel this".  He was feeling something beneath the right side floor boards.  I ran my fingers over the spot he was showing me and felt the shredded mess.  He asked "Do you want to replace that?"  I answered "I don't know, what is it?"  JR said "Brake line, it is shredded."  Well DUH, yes that will get replaced. It wasn't broken clear through, but it had definitely seen some contact with something harsh.

In the tear down, we pulled off a lot of the items that just wont fit with our final vision for this bike.  JR mentioned maybe even showing her off a little when we are done at small bike shows.  I don't know if she will be of THAT caliber or not, because we will take a few budget saving short cuts like for example, the Lyndie bars will stay, we will clean them to the best of our ability then put chaps from Sage Brush Design on them to hide the flaws, they tend to frown on short cuts like that at bike shows, but for me it would be perfectly fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment